SHOW: Sex with Strangers
DIRECTED BY: Ricky Jones
PRODUCED BY: ProArts Playhouse
How far will you go to get what you want? Will you be the same person if you do? When twenty-something sex blogger and best-selling memoirist Ethan tracks down his idol, the gifted but obscure forty-ish novelist Olivia, he finds they each crave what the other possesses. As attraction turns to passion, and they inch closer to getting what they want, both must confront the dark side of ambition and the difficulty of reinventing oneself when the past is only a click away.
BOTH ROLES ARE OPEN and will receive remuneration. The director is seeking actors ages 18 and up. Seeking actors of all ethnicities and gender identities. All character ages are stage-ages and are flexible.
- PREPARED MATERIAL: 1-2 minute monologue to perform live, or submit via video prior to audition date to firstname.lastname@example.org or ask for a personalized link for uploading. Sides will be emailed/linked and/or distributed upon callback after monolog audition.
- PERSONNEL IN THE ROOM: At any given audition day/time, actors may expect to see any/all producers and directors, including, but not limited to: Lin McEwan and Ricky Jones
- LOCATION: ProArts Playhouse 1280 S Kihei Rd, Kihei, HI 96753 on the Makai side of Azeka Plaza
- DATES: Saturday, May 21, 2022
- 12:00pm – 12:45pm: In-person monologue auditions
- 12:45 – 2:00pm: Callback readings/pairings
- WHAT TO BRING: Before arriving, please complete this Audition Form (click on bold words) and email your headshot and resume to email@example.com, if you have these materials available.
- COVID SAFETY MEASURES: Even though things are much more straightforward than they were during the height of the pandemic, we are still asking people to observe basic safety precautions and to acknowledge that the local, state, and federal guidelines can change at any time, to which we are all subject. To that end, if you have not worked with ProArts in 2021 or 2022, please also read through Sections I and II in the General Covid Policies and Practices, and complete our Statement of Understanding in advance of your audition. (click on bold words)
The show will rehearse for 5 weeks. A final schedule will be determined based on people’s availability, so the schedule below is approximate. Please note that during tech week, rehearsal hours are longer.
- FIRST READ-THROUGH: Monday, May 23rd
- REHEARSAL COMMITMENT: 3-5 days per week
- LIKELY REHEARSAL TIMES, once dates are determined, although variations may happen depending on the actors’ availability:
- Evenings 6:00pm – 9:00pm and Saturdays 11:00am – 3:00pm
- Day rehearsals are possible if that suits the actors’ and director’s schedules
- ProArts Playhouse in Kihei
- A secondary space in either Kihei or Wailuku may be used, particularly if it better suits the actors
- PERFORMANCE LOCATION: ProArts Playhouse
- CONFLICTS: Please verify your availability for all performances and list any conflicts for potential rehearsals. Conflicts beyond June 21st are not possible.
7 performances between June 24th to July 3rd, 2022 (If an extension seems likely, we will consult with all involved parties before the decision is made.)
Thursdays, Fridays, & Saturdays at 7:30pm, Sundays at 2:00pm
- Please be aware that this production will involve intimate contact between cast members.
- In scenes used for the audition process that would require physical touch in the play itself, the action will simply be marked in the audition. No touch will be allowed. Intimacy Direction will be implemented in the choreography of these scenes during the rehearsal process.
- ProArts Playhouse is committed to providing an environment free of discrimination and harassment where all individuals are treated with respect and dignity, can contribute fully, and have equal opportunities. For complete information on our Anti-Harrassment Policy, click here
- Olivia: Female-identifying, age range 35 to 45. Smart, outwardly strong but covering some fragility and not a voracious socializer/dater. American with a European flair from many years living abroad. A gifted and passionate, but obscure, old-school writer who loves books and serious literature–not up on the latest blogging and social media trends. Olivia achieved limited literary success with one novel, but her career did not take off, and she has been making a living teaching. Has a new book that she has put her heart into, but is afraid of getting it out into the world for fear of rejection. Was in a long-term relationship with a famous writer, but that is over.
- Ethan: Male-identifying, age range 23 to 35. Very charismatic and charming in a bold and boyish way, but with intelligence underneath. A fast talker, used to being the center of attention. A blogger with two wildly successful books pulled from his sex blog about fulfilling his bet with some buddies that he could pick up a new woman every week for a year. He is already working on the screenplay adaptation and a new literary app. While he is comfortable in the role of an arrogant playboy, he longs to win the respect of the literary world with his own writing. Ethan is a huge fan of Olivia’s published book, idolizes her, and has tracked her down to the rural B&B where she goes to write.
Click here to view a perusal version of the script
Feel free to contact us with any questions or accommodation requests:
ProArts Playhouse 808-463-6550; firstname.lastname@example.org